The Sequel to The Children of Zol

Courteous Reader. This is a story about a man and a cast of strange characters who find themselves caught in an adventure mystery.

For reference, the hero of the story is the alleged author of The Children of Zol which is a Novella about a culture of people who have become addicted to their electronic devices. The Children of Zol can be accessed by following the link on the right or by clicking here.

Many thanks for reading!



Monday 20 December 2010

Chapter Thirty Six. That Time of Month



That Time of Month

"The feelings a person has change, based on gender."

When Derby awoke from his long sleep, he found himself immersed in contemplation.

"I haven't talked to Barbie in forever! I hope she's well. And her mother, my gosh, my Pammie Poo, are they doing ok? I'm sure they're worried sick without hearing from me."

His thoughts were with his family at home but he noticed the texture of the feelings were different than when he would have these same thoughts, as a man.

"Hopefully it is warming up back home and the outside kittie is doing ok. Oh, the outside kittie!"

And with that thought, Derby found him/her self unable to control the emotions that overpowered her/his crying control center, and the dam broke. Once again, like a hormonal teenage girl, Derby was sobbing out loud, an emotional wreck.

From the thought of the poor defenseless outside kittie cat, his mind flashed to his favorite contestant on The Biggest Loser. "Oh, will Arthur go home? I know they think he's a villain since he broke up the teams, but he needs to be there!"


More tears. More out loud sobbing. 


It wasn't gas. He was sure of that. But something was stirring. He felt as if some pressure, a subtle pressure was causing some discomfort. Did he have to use the restroom? No, not that, exactly.


He decided to examine whatever he had going on downstairs. With that he took a peek.


"Nothing seems too out of place," he said to himself as he stared at his newly remodeled pubic area.


"Sure do miss that mighty dragon!," he joked to himself as he pulled his pretty pantaloons down further to reveal more of what was happening between his legs.


"My God I'm spotting!," he said to himself. "I guess the good news is that I'm not pregnant!"


He looked around his bedroom chamber to see what kind of material was available to forestall this new malady.


"Fucking A," he said to himself in his most familiar internal chatter. "I'm going to have a period. These folks really know how to throw a freak show. Jesus Christ."


There was a tissue like piece of muslin cloth near his couch that Derby was able to tear and roll up into a kind of pad. Never once doing anything remotely similar, he wedged the homespun feminine hygiene "sponge" securely into his private parts, pulled his dainty cute size zero pantaloons back in position and laid back down in his Persian lounge.


"Cramping sucks," he said to himself. "Where's a Midol when you need one?" he wondered, remembering the brand, either from TV ads or from living with women, he wasn't sure which.


His discomfort was compounded when he felt his chamber rocking from the thumping stomp of the approaching monster. Instead of the "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum," which seemed in order it was, a cheerful greeting:


"Good morning Princess! How's my little darling doing today?," said Umpa, without one hint of sarcasm to the tone of his thunderous voice.


"Not worth a shit," replied Miss Derby angrily. "I don't find this crap amusing anymore. Are we ever going to proceed and let me learn about why I'm really here or so I can meet the people on my book deal? Or are you the head a huge prostitution ring and I'm about to become your biggest money maker?!"


"Now now Derby. Don't be so dramatic," warned Umpa soothingly. "You'll soon have experienced those body sensations of our beloved sisterhood and we'll bring you back to this side of the universe."


"I'm having my period ass-hole. I'm not well and your breath stinks!," yelled Derby who thought he could also smell urine from the monster's underwear. "Do you mind speaking into the vase without blowing your foul wind in my general direction?"


"Looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the sofa this morning," said Umpa. And then Derby heard the thump, thump, thumping of the big Buddha walking away.


"Wait!," yelled Derby desperately. "Don't go! I'll behave! Please, don't leave me!"


But no more bad breath came blowing down the tube. There was nothing left to do but cry and cry some more.

6 comments:

  1. I think "I" shall cry and cry some more!! I should have finished at least one cup of coffee this morning before reading : O

    Some things I just have never liked to speak of ... even TV ads turn me away! I'm going to go to "my" happy place now .... (hands over ears - repeating - "peas and carrots" in my head!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Donna! Hope you get to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The feelings we have are based on gender? I'm not sure I agree with that assertion.

    I think our ability to interpret and define our feelings may have something to do with gender, but based on a kind of sliding scale of awareness more than simply on a basis of gender.

    My mother used to say it this way (and I found it rather sexist); "Men have only two emotions, happy and angry. When they're sad, they're angry. When they're jealous, they're angry. When they're tired, they're angry. When they're frightened, they're angry"...etc.

    I see her point, but I've known many men to be more aware of themselves and the feelings they experience than that. I've also known many women who learned to block out their feelings in an attempt at self-preservation.

    We should discuss this over coffee some Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jo! Well, I'm not in a position to say as I'm not a scientist or a philosopher. This is just a line from a novella, and happened to be the morning thought of the character as he woke up on day two of finding himself as a woman.

    I think what he noticed was that the "texture" of his feelings had changed. Until he was a woman, he hadn't felt quite so nurturing in relationships and he also felt something had changed about the relationship of his thoughts to the body sensations which he experienced.

    It would be difficult for the rest of us to know because we are only one gender.

    But this for sure, if you want to go debate it with Derby, I know someone who may be able to put you in that position. The thing is you may find yourself speaking in a man's voice or some other crazy circumstance. So beware!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I say "debate"??? I did not.

    Chat. Let's chat over coffee.

    You are SUCH a debater. I, however, am a chatter. Chat-ter. Chat her. Nevermind...I don't know what I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not the debator. I just thought you might want to debate why Derby felt like gender affected the way he thought about things. You see the line was "The feelings a person has change, based on gender." It was in quotations because Derby had that thought. Derby is a fictional character in a fantasy novella, so he isn't necessarily suppose to be correct with his thoughts (in that one case, you disagreed with him, you said). So I thought, maybe you and Derby should debate that, since it was his thought you disagreed with. Moi? a debater? never! but a coffee lover, yes.

    ReplyDelete